Saturday, 28 December 2013

L4GYouth & Why I am Involved


As 2013 rolls into 2014, I’m sure a few of you have seen the words L4GYouth posted around and my name alongside them and wondered what exactly is going on, so I thought as we have a few quieter days now, I’d explain who I am and what L4GYouth is about and what it’s means for the L4G community.

I’m a recently graduate who lives in the Bushey area of SW Herts and studied History and Criminology at University. Having got a degree, I struggled initially to get on any graduate schemes and it seemed that there was no-one who could help me. I was at the Job Centre every week and apart from one or two members of staff there, they couldn’t seem to understand why I was there to be honest. I eventually decided to do the law conversion course and I am now on the route to being a solicitor.



However, this is left me in a situation where I feel I need to build up other skills that are vital to getting a training contract (the equivalent of the Holy Grail) with a law firm. I was lucky enough to see a tweet that +Chris Ogle  put out on Twitter looking for young people to help with a project involving Watford Market. I replied and met up with him a few days later and found the meeting very enlightening and learnt that some of the old ways and methods that we still use are becoming irrelevant in the 21st Century. One area we agreed on was how the education system puts young people in a position where they are under-skilled in traits they need to succeed in business and in a market that is saturated with other graduates.

Having given this thought over the recent months and a brief bit of research shows the severity of the situation. Statistics from August-October 2013 show that 941,000 (20.5%) young people are unemployed. That combined with the increasing levels of young people going to university means that more and more graduates are taking non-graduate jobs, which boasts the question of why did I go to university and get a degree to end up working in places such as Tesco’s.

I too am one of those people who could be saying that if I can’t obtain a training contract but I am determined to do so and will look for opportunities in Link for growth to help me show employers what skills and contacts I have and this is where I feel L4G can help. Not only does L4G have the ability to teach young people what skills they will need and give practical advice on a range of things from CVs and interviews to how to Network; it also has the potential for young people to take part in local community and this can help them show their skills to employers.

Some of you who have got this far are most likely wondering how this affects you and what you could do to help this project. If you know anyone between the ages of 16-25 who could benefit from L4GYouth, I urge you to get them to contact me and I will see how we can work together to improve their situation. Also, if you think you could help someone then get in contact with me and I will be more than willing to talk to you about ideas and how we can solve this situation that young people find themselves in. 2014 will be a big year for L4G with more events and more people joining the community but I firmly believe that by this time next year, L4GYouth will be making headlines also.